Reverse Osmosis System
For many years, SCAM has been specializing in the design and manufacture of on-shore and marine plants for the production of fresh water from sea water.
Thermal processes principally used for the separation of salts were: submerged tube plants, multi-stage flash, thermo-compression, heat recovery.
The advent of new technologies employing semi-permeable membranes found us ready to face the required studies.
The results of these studies have enabled us, recently, to realize reverse osmosis plants (reverse osmosis system).
Experience, the technical co-operation with Engineering Companies and Test Institutes - that have been inspecting operating plants for more than ten years - allowed us to develop a line of package type "Reverse Osmosis Sea Water Desalting Plants", with a capacity ranging from 1 to 2,000 T/day.
For higher outputs, SCAM-RO plants are designed every time according to our Customers' requirements.
REVERSE OSMOSIS USES
Pure and ultra-pure water produced by means of the Reverse Osmosis system is specifically recommended for the following uses:
Drinkable water for human uses
Systems can be built to produce from few thousands of litres to many thousands cu.m per day , destined to yachts, outlying agricultural villages, communities, towns or big industrial centres. Seawater or brine could become drinkable; it is possible to remove from the water some unpleasant components such as: nitrates, various fertilizers, fluorine, arsenic, organic compounds or elements, which are dangerous to human health.
Water for irrigation
Starting from sea water or brine, sometimes through bared wells not far from the sea, it is possible to obtain water suitable for cultivations of vegetables and fruits, in dry places and in seasons when these products could be sold as first fruits and vegetables, at particularly advantageous prices.
Water for industrial uses
Many industrial cycles require pure or ultra-pure water for their processes, such as:
• Water for high pressure boilers and for treatment before the use of ion exchange resins
• Water for pharmaceutical production
• Water for cosmetic production
• Water for microcircuits
• Water for soft drinks and beer
• Water for ice production
Package type SCAM-RO units are very easy to install.
They are pre-assembled on a sturdy frame and include:
• First filtering system;
• Chemical pre-treatment;
• Second mechanical pre-filtering system (up to 5 µ);
• High pressure pumps;
• Electric panel for instruments and controls;
• Salinometer, flow captor, relief and regulating valves;
• Semi permeable membrane system;
• Flow indicators, pressure gauges, alarm system;
• Instruction manual.
The following optional accessories are also available:
• Auxiliary water delivery pumps for desalting plants or storage tanks;
• Special pre-filtering system to eliminate oil traces at the delivery;
• Special chemical pre-treatment to eliminate chlorine and other contaminants;
• Carbon filters;
• U. V. sterilization;
• Conditioning of desalted water or added salts to improve taste;
• Energy recovery at the discharge.
SCAM-RO units are tested at our Workshop before the delivery.
They can be supplied for on-shore use with tubes and tanks in plastic material or fibreglass either for marine applications with materials complying with the rules of Test Agencies such as R.I.Na., LL'R, B.V., etc.
Since the brine discharge occurs at high pressure, SCAM introduced an energy recovery system that provides a substantial reduction in plant running costs.
The choice of membranes, the complexity of pre-treatment and materials are based on individual applications are backed up by our experience and by several test results we achieved. The point of departure for every reverse osmosis plant is the study of the characteristics of the salted or brackish water to be treated. SCAM can supply units with a wide range of membranes for specific cases.
Materials used in the production of membranes have the following advantages:
• Greater resistance to the effects of free chlorine up to 1 mg/lt.
for long periods, from 10 to 20 mg/lt for short periods;
• Greater productivity in relation to the membrane surface;
• Lower micro-porosity impedance.
• Wider pH tolerance;
• Greater resistance to biological attack;
• Greater salt rejection capacity.